Melrose was fortunate to have Price Armstrong from MassBike speak to the Pedestrian & Bicycle Advisory Committee on bicycle safety.
We reviewed Massachusetts laws for bicyclists and motorists.
We reviewed the Franklin County bikability assessment report. We could potentially have MassBike do the same sort of assessment for Melrose, though it would have the most value if we have champions within the various city departments to collaborate with them as they do their study.
MassBike could provide:
- Bikability assessment for specific planning project or area
- Event support – can send volunteers
- Literature for event giveaways
- Through Mass in Motion grant they can provide policy, planning, systems assistance
- Provide a workshop for City staff on bike safety training and infrastructure planning for City planning, engineering and public works staff.
Other recommendations for our new committee:
- Build relationships in the community and in the City government
- Build early successes to help propel the group.